How did it all begin?
In early 2017 we had been learning all about food waste with our teacher Lydia. We learnt some shocking facts like the facts below. We all agreed we had to do something about it, so Bubble & Squeak was born!
We operate in the poorest ward in Hammersmith & Fulham and we live in the top 10% of deprivation in the UK.
Our USP is turning our shared passion for reducing food waste into an opportunity to ignite change in our own communities driven by kid power!
Food Waste Facts
- 15 million tonnes of food is being wasted per year in the UK
- 44% of all bread produced in the UK is wasted
- Over 1/3 of all food produced globally goes to waste
We believe children can lead the way to improve their own lives and their own futures.
We believe children can inspire themselves and their communities to be healthy and reduce food waste.
We believe in the power of social enterprise to collectively use our skills, work together, and care for our community.
How are we doing this?
- We collect surplus food from our amazing surplus food partners City Harvest and Felix Project.
- We sell it on a ‘pay as you feel basis’ to our local community from our crowdfunded shipping container.
- We cook with the surplus food during after school club and grow our own produce in our community garden.
- We host our own community events to reduce isolation and bring our community together. Such as intergenerational bingo events and our brilliant big feasts!
- We create and sell our own products. Including wonky fruit and veg artwork, greeting cards and chutneys, sold throughout London and in our local community.